Sunday, January 1, 2012

What did you do for New Year's Day?

I made a sketch book.  It has six, six page signatures of Strathmore Artagain black 60 lb paper. I used the cardboard backing from the pad of paper for my covers.  On the front I glued a card that I received from fellow blogger, Jackie, over at Journals and Letters and on the back the folder for a set of cards called Deep Purple.  Both Jackie's card and the set came from Heron Dance Studio.  The stitch is a coptic stitch/curved needle.  Making this book was really much easier that I expected and gives me the confidence to venture forward.  Happy New Year everyone.



Front
Back


My best friend gave me the wonderful book Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures and Forms by Alisa Golden which provided the detailed instructions I used to make this book.




2 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Wow! That journal looks awesome! I've got some bookbinding stuff that has been sitting waiting for inspiration to strike. On New Year's I worked on the frame for another paperclay mastiff. Hubby wants an fully grown version in a standing pose. A bit more challenging.

SheilaM said...

Beautiful! I am so impressed. I keep thinking about trying my hand at this but I'm intimidated...it looks difficult. How long did this take you?